Skip to main content
Use the UC-eLinks button to locate the article.
To connect to UCSD from off-campus use these services.
To look for other databases that might be useful for your topic, use Sage.
- L'anne Philologique (DCB)
This is the primary source for finding scholarly publications on ancient Greece and Rome, or their influence on later periods.
database indexes thousands of journals, essays, theses, and other materials
on all aspects of religious study. UCSD is more likely to have the articles
than the other items.
of Asian Studies (BAS)
BAS is an
index to western-language books, book chapters, and articles on all
parts of Asia.
- Diotima: Women and Gender in the Ancient World
A guide to online resources, with links to course materials, articles, a bibliography, images, and other sources.
- Feminae: Medieval Women and Gender Index
Feminae covers journal articles, book reviews, and essays in books about women, sexuality, and gender during the Middle Ages. It covers sources written from July 1996 - present.
journals, books, and dissertations on non-US / Canadian history. It is
best for history from 1450 to the present, but includes some medieval
- History of Science, Technology, and Medicine
This database covers journal articles, conference proceedings, books, book reviews, and dissertations in the history of science, technology, and medicine and allied historical fields.
- Index Islamicus
This is an index of European-language publications on Islam, the Middle East, and the Muslim world. It includes articles from 3,000 journals plus books (to the chapter level), book reviews and conference proceedings.
- Internet Medieval Sourcebook: Secondary Sources
This is a collection of scholarly articles and other materials on selected topics in the Medieval world. A collection of primary documents, actual medieval texts, is also available.
Gateway to the Middle Ages and Renaissance
Click Select a Database, then Journals, then Journals Bibliography.
Enter your search term(s) and select where you want to search from the
menu to the right. Use "and" to combine search terms (e.g., feudalism
and france). Click Search.
This is an archive
of older, scholarly articles, all full-text. Use JSTOR's Print or Download tabs, not your browser's functions. You can print or download or email only one full-text article at a time.
Contents Index (PCI)
PCI is an
index to thousands of older social sciences and humanities journals.
not have full text, and includes journals UCSD doesn't carry.
- Sociological Abstracts
Covers historical articles mainly on sociological/psychological issues like gender, race, identity, nationalism, and religion. Also indexes purely historical, political, and economic articles.
Don't forget to
check any books found for bibliographies (look in the table of contents
or at the ends of individual chapters); this is often an excellent source
for articles as well as books. Ask at Reference if you need help.
*Most of these databases are subscription-based, paid for by the UCSD Libraries.
To connect from off-campus, use proxy or VPN. After searching in these
databases, click on the UC-eLinks button
to see how
to get the complete article.
- An archive of older, scholarly articles
- Some date as far back as late 19th or early 20th centuries
- All full-text
- Use JSTOR's Print or Donwload tabs, not your browser's functions
- Can print or download or email only one full-text article at a time
- Note that the most recent 3-5 years are not included; for current articles use Web of Science
Academic Search Complete*
- Database covers all subject areas broadly, but none exhaustively
- Includes both popular magazines and scholarly journals, with a large number of full-text articles
- Coverage dates back more than 100 years
Bibliography of Asian Studies*
- An index to western-language books, book chapters, and articles on all parts of Asia
- Indexes journals, books, and dissertations on non-US / Canadian history
- Best for history from 1450 to the present, but includes some medieval sources
- Covers historical articles mainly on sociological/psychological issues like gender, race, identity, nationalism, and religion
- Also indexes purely historical, political, and economic articles
Web of Science*
- Broad subject coverage of over 10,000 key journals in sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities, with references dating back to 1900
Go to Databases A-Z or Subjects A-Z for other databases that might be useful for your topic