Skip to main content
Library catalogs are good places to begin looking for books & e-books by keyword, author, title, or subject. These database do NOT search the content/text of books however.
Looking for a journal? Search by the title of the journal (not the title of the article).
Search UCSD (Roger)
-Use to find books, e-books, videos, and other materials in the UCSD Library. Search by author, title, subject, or keyword.
-To find only e-books, limit “electronic materials”. The link to the book is in the record.
-Many e-books can only be viewed by UCSD students/faculty/staff and require proxy or VPN for off-campus use.
Search & Request books from San Diego area libraries -- UCSD, SDSU, USD and Cal State San Marcos (and also the public library). Items from these libraries arrive within 2 - 3 days.
Use Request to borrow books from other UC campuses. Use to find books, etc. owned by libraries at other University of California campuses. Use Request function to borrow books from other UC campuses. (NOTE: e-books at other libraries will not be available)
Browsing Anthropology Books in Geisel Library
The main area for anthropology books is on the sixth floor of Geisel Library, in the area with call numbers beginning with the letters GN:
GN49-298 Physical anthropology.
- GN51-59 Anthropometry
- GN62.8-265 Human variation
- GN269-279 Race (General)
- GN280.7 Man as an animal. Simian traits versus human traits
- GN281-289 Human evolution
- GN282-286.7 Fossil man. Human paleontology
- GN296-296.5 Medical anthropology
GN301-674 Ethnology. Social and cultural anthropology
- GN357-367 Culture and cultural processes (social change, structuralism, diffusion, etc.)
- GN378-396 Collected ethnographies
- GN397-397.7 Applied anthropology
- GN406-517 Cultural traits, customs, and institutions
- GN406-442 Technology. Material culture
- GN448-450.8 Economic organization. Economic anthropology
- GN451-477.7 Intellectual life
- GN478-491.7 Social organization
- GN492-495.2 Political organization. Political anthropology
- GN495.4-498 Societal groups, ethnocentrism, diplomacy, warfare, etc.
- GN502-517 Psychological anthropology
- GN537 674 Ethnic groups and races
- GN550 674 By region or country
- GN700 890 Prehistoric archaeology
The books in Geisel Library are arranged by a system called Library of Congress Classification. The letters and numbers ("CALL NUMBERS") on the label applied to the spine of each book represent this classficiation. The call numbers are used to keep the books in order, arranged by subject and subarranged by author.
The UC San Diego Library regularly purchases ebooks. Most are listed in Roger along with other library materials. Another way to access ebooks is through a publisher/vendor's collection, a few of which are listed here. For more information see our guide on Ebooks at UCSD.
Google Books ~ Advanced Book Search
Search the full text of over 15 million books. Most books published after 1923 are not available to read online, but can be previewed and located in libraries.
Partnership of academic and research organizations offering a collection of millions of digitized materials from libraries around the world, include the UC San Diego Library. Full text is available for many but not all items - you can restrict your search to full text items.