This guide is for those who need help with their research projects. Below are a few basic research tips. For a more detailed library and research FAQ click here. For help with more specific kinds of sources, click on the blue tabs above.
For a guide to online primary sources, click here.
- To connect to UCSD databases from off-campus use these services.
- To see online reference books like dictionaries and encyclopedias, click here.
- To connect to the UCSD wireless network with your laptop, follow these instructions.
- To use a printing account and your laptop to print in a lab, click here.
- To photocopy, and to print from library computers, use your UCSD ID.
- To be able to use all library services, set up your My Library Account.
- To see when the libraries open and close, check the library hours.
- To see what your instructors have put on Reserve, click here.
- To get materials not available on campus, find out about Requesting Books & Articles.
- To create an online bibliography of your research, take a workshop or set up an account on
Organizing your Research Paper
The University of Southern California has an excellent guide to helping you organize and write a quality research paper for any class in the social sciences. Also included are recommendations regarding how to manage specific course assignments. Note that, if you have specific questions about how to write a research paper, you should always seek advice from your professor before you begin. Specific requirements stated by your professor will always supersede instructions provided in these general guidelines:
Citation Management: RefWorks & Zotero
RefWorks is free, web-based software for building personal databases of research citations. Users can upload citations from most of the UCSD databases and compile a bibliography, which RefWorks can even format in the correct style and download for you. For more information see the RefWorks website.
Zotero is a Firefox browser plugin. It is a fully functional citation management tool that integrates with your browser so that your documents and citations are always handy. Especially useful is its ability to take snapshots of online content including Google Scholar search results. A plugin for word processors is available for manuscript preparation.