Zotero is an alternative citation management program,. It works much like endnote, with you downloading a Bookmark to install in your browser so that you can import citations into the Zotero system. Both tools allow you to organizing your citations. In Endnote, your entire collection is called "My References" and folders are called "Groups," whereas in Zotero, the entire collection is called "My Library" and Folders are called "Collections."
Here's a very useful introduction to using Zotero -- both online and as a downloadable PDF *please note that it's easier to link from the online version to pages with more specific instructions on given themes/tools
A handy tool in Zotero is ZoteroBib – which can be used when you want to load in a batch of titles quickly by using unique numbers (like ISBN or DOI) or titles only.
The easiest way to use Endnote web is by installing the "Capture Reference" Bookmark onto your Toolbar
Download Capture Reference
Use Capture Reference
It will now show up in your My References in Endnote Web
* Please note that sometimes the citation is not captured completely or correctly so it is good to review it and make sure that you have all of the information you need in the proper format.
The Cite While You Write plugin for Microsoft Word allows you to add the citations you've put into your Endnote Web account into your paper while you are writing it. It can also automatically format your bibliography.
This is what the ribbon will look like in Word.
How to download Cite While You Write:
1. After you've logged into Endnote Web, go to the Downloads tab
2. Follow the instructions to download Cite While You Write
How to use:
1. Click on the Endnote tab
2. When you're ready to insert a citation into your paper, click Insert Citations
3. Enter the author's last name into the search and choose Insert. It will add the in-text citation as well as the full citation for your bibliography.
Be sure to always double check ALL your citations.
Using Endnote Web to Create a Bibliography:
1. Put the articles you would like to be included in your bibliography in a folder
2. Hover over Format and choose Bibliography
Save, email, or preview and print