Skip to main content
National and International Standards
A list of commonly sought standards, with information on availability as appropriate. If we don't have the standard or it's not freely available, see information on requesting or purchasing.
- AASHTO (American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials)
Some AASHTO standards are in Knovel, including Standard Specifications for Transportation Materials and Methods of Sampling and Testing and AASHTO Provisional Standards, and several related to bridge construction, design, and evaluation.
- ACI (American Concrete Institute)
Available online: ACI Manual of Concrete Practice
- AHRI (Air-Conditioning, Heating, & Refrigeration Institute)
AHRI and AHRI/ANSI Standards (free) can be downloaded from the website.
- AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics)
- ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers)
The ASHRAE HVAC Handbooks are in Knovel.
- ANSI (American National Standards Institute)
ANSI does not produce standards, but it "coordinates the U.S. voluntary consensus standards system, providing a neutral forum for the development of policies on standards issues and serves as a watchdog for standards development and conformity assessment programs and processes."
- ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
Online access to the standards is not part of the Library's subscription to the ASCE Digital Library, but a few standards are available in the print collection.
- ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)
Available in Knovel: 2015 ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section II - Materials.
- ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)
Available online via ASTM Compass.
- IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission)
A few IEC Standards are available online via IEEE Xplore. Also, a few ISO/IEC Standards are freely available as zip files.
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
Available online via IEEE Xplore Digital Library.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization)
A few ISO and ISO/IEC Standards are freely available as zip files.
- ITU (International Telecommunication Union)
Most of the ITU-T Recommendations (Standards) are available for free downloading.
- NFPA (National Fire Protection Association)
NFPA Standards (free) can be read online, view-only. Registration required.
- NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association)
- NISO (National Information Standards Organization)
NISO and ANSI/NISO Standards (free) can be downloaded from the website.
- OSHA (Occupational Health and Safety Administration)
OSHA Standards (free) can be downloaded from the website.
- SAE International (Society of Automotive Engineers)
We do the 2005 SAE Handbook (TL1 .S6914), but many of the standards have since been superseded.
- UL (Underwriters' Laboratories)
UL maintains separate catalog and sales sites for their standards.
- W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)
W3C Recommendations (standards) are available for free downloading.