Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
National and International Standards
A list of commonly sought standards, with information on availability as appropriate. If we don't have the standard or it's not freely available, see information on requesting or purchasing.
For military standards, EverySpec is a good starting place.
- AASHTO (American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials)
Some AASHTO standards are in Knovel, including Standard Specifications for Transportation Materials and Methods of Sampling and Testing and AASHTO Provisional Standards, and several related to bridge construction, design, and evaluation.
- ACI (American Concrete Institute)
ACI Collection Online
- AHRI (Air-Conditioning, Heating, & Refrigeration Institute)
AHRI and AHRI/ANSI Standards (free) can be downloaded from the website.
- AIAA (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics)
- ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers)
The ASHRAE HVAC Handbooks are in Knovel.
- ANSI (American National Standards Institute)
ANSI does not produce standards, but it "coordinates the U.S. voluntary consensus standards system, providing a neutral forum for the development of policies on standards issues and serves as a watchdog for standards development and conformity assessment programs and processes."
- ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
Online access to the standards is not part of the Library's subscription to the ASCE Digital Library, but a few standards are available in the print collection.
- ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)
Available in Knovel: 2017 ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Section II - Materials.
- ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)
Library provides online access via ASTM Compass.
- ETSI (European Telecommunications Standard Institute)
Standard can be downloaded from their site.
- ICC (International Code Council)
ICC standards, some free in "view only" mode. Can also access the I-Codes and state codes in "view only."
- IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission)
A few IEC Standards are available online via IEEE Xplore. Also, a few ISO/IEC Standards are freely available as zip files.
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
Available online via IEEE Xplore Digital Library.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization)
A few ISO and ISO/IEC Standards are freely available as zip files.
- ITU (International Telecommunication Union)
Most of the ITU-T Recommendations (Standards) are available for free downloading.
- MIL-STD & MIL-SPEC (Defense Standardization Program)
Military specifications and standards are generally free for downloading at the ASSIST site. You may text search here.
- NACE (formerly National Association of Corrosion Engineers)
- NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association)
- NFPA (National Fire Protection Association)
NFPA Standards (free) can be read online, view-only. Registration required.
- NISO (National Information Standards Organization)
NISO and ANSI/NISO Standards (free) can be downloaded from the website.
- OSHA (Occupational Health and Safety Administration)
OSHA Standards (free) can be downloaded from the website.
- SAE International (Society of Automotive Engineers)
We have the 2005 SAE Handbook (TL1 .S6914), but many of the standards have since been superseded.
- SMPTE (Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers)
The Overview Documents are freely available. We do not have access to the SMPTE standards in IEEE Xplore.
- UL (Underwriters' Laboratories)
UL makes all of their standards free to view, with a purchase required for a PDF or hardcopy.
- W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)
W3C Recommendations (standards) are available for free downloading.