Skip to main content
More Library services during COVID-19
For the safety and wellbeing of our community, Geisel Library and the Biomedical Library Building are closed effective Monday, March 16, 2020 until further notice. Learn more about services available at the Library during the COVID-19 response.
Temp Access 2020 outside UC
Permanent Library Resources
For years, the Library has been investing heavily in electronic material, and we provide access to millions of electronic books, journals and other information resources.
- As usual, the best way to find content is to search the UCSD Library catalog, Roger. And remember you can always limit to Electronic Materials only.
- Assuming availability and a reasonable price, we will purchase content we have in print as an ebook while print is inaccessible, especially reserves. Use this form to recommend a purchase.
- Our licensed databases and packages are included in the Databases A-Z list.
- Many ebook options are listed in our Ebook Guide.
- A wide range of licensed and free streaming content can be found on the Film & Video Guide.
- Open Educational Resources (OER) - lists by discipline are being continually updated as are the crowdsourced open lab (virtual lab) and ancillary lists.
- Kanopy -
- We have expanded access to the thousands of Kanopy videos available for DDA. These are not mediated, and can be used by UCSD patrons at any time.
New (temporary) content - some available UCSD only, some accessible to all
Many publishers are offering free content at this time. The majority of this content is provided as special institutional access, not open access, so UCSD users off-campus will need to connect to the VPN. Many items are listed in our catalog, Roger, but not all, so you may have to visit the vendor site to access content.
- Ebooks -
- HathiTrust - After Logging In as a UCSD user, you can view millions of in-copyright print books owned across UC. Some limitations apply, as access is based on the number of print copies we own.
- Academic Complete: We have a subscription though June 2021 with180,000 ebooks at this site.
- JSTOR content - A number of collections of books, journals, and primary source materials are free through 2020.
- JSTOR thematic collections open through December 31: Security Studies | Sustainability | Live of Literature
- University of Michigan Press: more than 1300 ebooks available free through August 31.
- Databases and Research Content -
- Film and Video -
- ASTM (engineering) has provided access to all video content on their site for free through 2020.