Skip to main content
PubMed & Web VPN Issue
PubMed is working with the webVPN again. However, if there are any problems that prevent it from displaying correctly, you can use the tips below to overcome that problem.
What to Do if PubMed Won't Display Properly
PubMed is a database that is available for everyone, and even the special UCSD version with UC-eLinks does not require VPN to use. What you will need the VPN for is when you want the full-text of the articles you found in PubMed. The following steps, albeit, a bit clunky, will let you search PubMed and get to the full-text.
- Without web VPN, go to UCSD's PubMed.
- Run search.
- If you want more than one or two articles, try using the Clipboard. (See tutorial on main PubMed page, if needed.)
- Click the title of the article you want in full-text to open abstract of article.
- Click on the UC-eLinks button.
- Copy the URL (web address) of UC-eLinks.
- Bring up new browser tab or window - login to web VPN (vpn.ucsd.edu).
- Paste URL in the home page address box.
- You will either get the full-text or the UC-eLinks menu that will have the online & print links.
Ask a Librarian
Get help when you need it. Check out the options.