International Encyclopedia of Dance. Ed. Selma Jeanne Cohen. NY & Oxford: Oxford UP, 1998. With nearly 2,000 articles written by scholars from fifty countries, the encyclopedia covers the full spectrum of dance—theatrical, ritual, dance-drama, folk, traditional, ethnic, and social dance. Cultural and national overviews are accompanied by entries on dance forms, music and costumes, performances, and biographies of dancers and choreographers. The print edition (in 6 volumes) is available at GV 1585 .I586 1998 in Geisel Stacks.
Encyclopedia of World Ballet. Ed. Mary Ellen Snodgrass. Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015. Includes articles on choreographers, ballet companies, dancers, composers, set and costume designers, productions, techniques, and terms.
Craine, Debra and Judith Mackrell. The Oxford Dictionary of Dance. 2nd edition. NY & Oxford: Oxford UP, 2010. Includes detailed entries on technical terms, steps, styles, works, and countries, in addition to many biographies of dancers, choreographers, and companies. Covers all types of theatrical dance. First edition, 2000, available in stacks.
The Oxford Handbook of Dance and Theatre. Ed. Nadine George-Graves (UCSD Faculty). NY & Oxford: Oxford UP, 2015. Not a reference book per se, but a compendium of over 3 dozen essays surveying a wide variety of academic approaches to the performing/ance arts. GV1594 .O94 2015 Geisel Stacks Floor 6 .
Chujoy, Anatole and P.W. Manchester. The Dance Encyclopedia. Rev., enl. ed. NY: Simon & Schuster, 1967. GV 1585 .C5 1967 Geisel Stacks Floor 7
Raffé, W.G. Dictionary of the Dance. NY: A.S. Barnes, 1975 ©1964. An older, but more detailed, source than Oxford. GV 1585 .R3 Geisel Reference and Stacks Floor 7..
The Queer Encyclopedia of Music, Dance, and Musical Theatre. Ed. Claude J. Summers. San Francisco: Cleis Press, 2004. ML 100 .Q44 2004 Geisel Reference.
Dance Discourses: Keywords in Dance Research. Ed. Susanne Franco and Marina Nordera. London; NY: Routledge, 2007. GV 1589 .D5716 2007 Geisel Stacks Floor 6.
All of these titles are ebooks.
Fortier, Mark. Theory/Theatre: An Introduction. 2nd edition. London, NY: Routledge, 2002.
Dictionary of Cultural and Critical Theory. 2nd ed. Ed. Michael Payne and Jessica Rae Barbera. New York: Wiley Online, 2010.
A Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory. 5th ed. Ed. J.A. Cuddon and Rafey Habib. New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2013. Earlier editions (print) available in Geisel stacks.
Key Terms in Literary Theory. Compiled by Mary Klages. London: Continuum, 2012.
Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics. 4th ed. Princeton NJ: Princeton UP, 2012. Make sure to access this resource using Mozilla Firefox, not Internet Explorer. This edition not available at UCI. 2nd edition available on both campuses in Literature Online. From its home page, click on "Criticism and Reference," then "Reference," then choose from list of publications. Print: UCSD: 1974 and 1993 eds. on Geisel 7th floor; UCI: 1974 ed. in Langson stacks; 1993 ed. in Langson Reference.
The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory & Criticism. 2nd ed. Ed. Michael Groden, Martin Kreiswirth, and Imre Szeman. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, 2005- (updated continually online; available on both campuses). Print editions: 1994 edition in stacks at both libraries. 2005 edition in Langson Reference and Special Collections Reference at UCI and in stacks at UCSD.
Scroll down for additional categories.
* Denotes online resources. Others are printed books.
* Acting: An International Encyclopedia of Traditonal Culture. Ed. Beth Osnes. Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2001. A major encyclopedia for theater, with articles on performing styles, genres, theater companies, countries, and some individual performers, acting teachers, and theorists. Print format also available; see Roger.
* All Things Shakespeare: An Encycopedia of Shakespeare's World. Ed. Kirstin Olsen. Westport, Ct.: Greenwood Press, 2002. More than 200 articles combine historical detail with descriptions on the form and function of obscure and everyday items from Shakespeare's world.
* American Theatre Companies, 1749-1887. Ed. Weldon B. Durham. NY: Greenwood Press, 1986. Followed by volumes for 1888-1930 (published 1987) and 1931-1986 (1989). Available online on both campuses in North American Theatre Online. Group biographies for prominent resident theater companies.
Barba, Eugenio. Dictionary of Theatre Anthropology. 2nd edition. Translated Richard Fowler. Abingdon, Oxon; NY: Routledge, 2005.
* Bloom, Ken. The Routledge Guide to Broadway. 2nd edition. NY: Routledge, 2007.
Bowman, Walter Parker and Robert Hamilton Ball. Theatre Language: A Dictionary of Terms in English of the Drama and Stage from Medieval to Modern Times.
UCSD & UCI: PN 2035 .B6 Geisel Reference / Langson Stacks
UCSD & UCI: PN 2221 .C36 2007 Geisel Reference / Langson Stacks
UCI: PN 2860 .C35 1993 Langson Reference; Not at UCSD.
The Cambridge Guide to Theatre. New edition. Ed. Martin Banham.
UCSD & UCI: PN 2035 .C27 1995 Reference
Canadian Theatre Encyclopedia. This resource collects and disseminates information on plays, playwrights and theatre practitioners. Editors are members of the Canadian Association for Theatre Research.
Encyclopedia of Asian Theatre. Ed. Samuel L. Leiter. Westport, Ct. & London: Greenwood Press, 2007. 2 vols.
UCSD & UCI: PN 2860 .E53 2007 Reference
Encyclopedia of Aesthetics. 2nd edition. Ed. Michael Kelly. New York; Oxford: Oxford UP, 2014. Has lengthy articles on theater, performativity, and individual theorists.
The Facts on File Dictionary of the Theatre. Ed. William Packard, David Pickering, Charlotte Savidge.
UCI: PN 2035 .F27 1988 Reference; UCSD copy at SRLF (request from Melvyl)
Fisher, James. Historical Dictionary of American Theater: The Beginnings. Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015. Mostly short articles on individuals, theaters and terms relating to the theater in the U.S. from 1538 through 1880.
Fisher, James. Historical Dictionary of Contemporary American Theater, 1930-2010. Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield, 2011.
Grange, William. Historical Dictionary of German Theatre. 2nd ed. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow, 2006.
* Haupert, Michael J. Entertainment Industry: A Reference Handbook. (Contemporary World Issues). Santa Barbara: ABC-Clio, 2012. After a few chapters introducing and surveying the industry worldwide, this books has a useful chronology, biographical sketches of key people, data and documents, a ldirectory of organizations, a list of useful resources, and a glossary. UCSD only.
Fisher, James. Historical Dictionary of American Theater: Beginnings. Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield, 2015.
Hodgson, Terry. The Batsford Dictionary of Drama.
UCSD & UCI: PN 1625 H63 1988 Reference
International Dictionary of Theatre. Ed. Mark Hawkin-Dady.
Volume 1: Plays; Volume 2: Playwrights; Volume 3: Actors, Directors, and Designers, ed. David Pickering.
UCSD & UCI: PN 2035 .I49 1992 Reference
UCSD & UCI: PN 2035 .I5 1985 Reference
Leiter, Samuel L. Historical Dictionary of Japanese Traditional Theatre. 2nd ed. Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014.
* Lewandowski, Elizabeth J. The Complete Costume Dictionary. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2012.
Lounsbury, Warren C. and Norman Boulanger. Theatre Backstage from A to Z. 4th ed.
UCSD: PN 2091 .M3 L68 1999 Geisel Reference / Langson Stacks
At UCSD, several earlier editions are available in the stacks.
McGraw Hill Encyclopedia of World Drama: An International Reference Work. 2nd ed. Ed. Stanley Hochman.
UCSD & UCI: PN 1625 .M3 1984 Reference
Methuen Drama Dictionary of the Theatre. Ed. Jonathan Law. London: Methuen Drama, 2011.
* New Keywords: A Revised Vocabulary of Culture and Society. Ed. Tony Bennett, Lawrence Grossberg, and Meaghan Morris. Malden, Mass.: Blackwell, 2008. A revised edition of Raymond Williams' Keywords, first published in 1985. Dictionary of terms used primarily in Cultural Studies.
The New Penguin Dictionary of the Theatre. Revised and enlarged edition. Ed. Jonathan Law, David Pickering, Richard Helfer.
UCSD: PN 2035 .N49 2001 SSH Reference UCI: Available through ILS.
* The Oberon Glossary of Theatrical Terms: Theatre Jargon Explained. Ed. Colin Winslow. 2nd ed. London: Oberon, 2011. Print format also available in Geisel stacks: PN 2035 .W56 2011 / 7th floor.
* The Oxford Companion to American Theatre. 3rd ed. Ed. Gerald Bordman and Thomas S. Hischak.
Print edition: UCSD & UCI: PN 2220 .B6 2004 Geisel Stacks & Langson Stacks
* The Oxford Companion to the American Musical. Ed. Thomas Hischak. Oxford & NY: Oxford UP, 2008.
UCSD: PN 2035 .H3 1983 Geisel Reference
* The Concise Oxford Companion to the Theatre. 2nd ed. Ed. Phyllis Hartnoll and Peter Found.
* Oxford Dictionary of Plays. Ed. Michael Patterson. New York: Oxford UP, 2005. Brief information about 100 plays, including a plot summary, cast configuration, and evaluative comments. Indexes of characters and playwrights.
* The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and Rome. Ed. Michael Gagarin. Oxford & NY: Oxford UP, 2010.
* The Oxford Encyclopedia of Theatre and Performance. 2nd edition. Ed. Dennis Kennedy. Oxford & NY: Oxford UP, 2010. Online only at UCSD.
UCI: PN2035 .O94 2010 Langson Reference
Pavice, Patrice. Dictionary of the Theatre: Terms, Concepts, and Analysis. Trans. Christine Schantz. Toronto; Buffalo: University of Toronto Press, 1998. Print also available; see Roger.
Pavice, Patrice. The Routledge Dictionary of Performance and Contemporary Theatre. Trans. Andrew Brown. Abingdon, Oxon; NY: Routledge, 2016.
Peterson, Bernard L. The African American Theatre Directory, 1816-1960: A Comprehensive Guide to Early Black Theatre Organizations, Companies, Theatres, and Performing Groups.
UCSD & UCI: PN 2230 .A35 P48 1997 Reference
* Slanguage Dictionary. Definitions of slang terms used in Variety, the principal trade publication of the entertainment industry.
Vaughn, Jack A. Drama A to Z: A Handbook.
UCSD & UCI: PN 1625 .V3 Geisel Reference / Langson Stacks
Wilmeth, Don B. The Language of American Popular Entertainment: A Glossary of Argot, Slang, and Terminology.
Winslow, Colin. See Oberon above.
Woll, Allen L. Dictionary of the Black Theatre: Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Selected Harlem Theatre.
World Encyclopedia of Contemporary Theatre. London; NY: Routledge, 1994-2000. 6 vols. Vol. 1: Europe; Vol. 2: The Americas; Vol. 3: Africa; Vol. 4: The Arab World; Vol. 5: Asia/Pacific; Vol. 6: Bibliography/Index. UCSD: PN 2035 .W67 1994 / Geisel Reference. UCI: PN 1861 .W67 1994 / Langson Reference. Some individual volumes are available online; see Roger and Antpac.