Below is information on several Libraries, Archives, Organizations, and Academic Institutions that may hold resources useful for your research. They are also marked on the linked Google Map to help you navigate the city to visit them.
1. Archivo Histórico de Tijuana
Located in the Instituto Municipal de Arte y Cultura (IMAC)
Calle Benito Juárez 2da, Zona Centro, Centro, 22000 Tijuana, B.C., Mexico
+52 664 685 0140
The IMAC is housed in the historic and beautiful Palacio Municipal of Tijuana. This building housed the Ayuntamiento (City Council) until 1986. The IMAC and includes the Braulio Maldonado Library, archive, and high-quality city museum.
Archival Collections include:
1) a significant amount of music in various formats (disc, cassette, records) – including samples of local rock groups, newspapers, comics, and magazines belonging to Octavio Herández, who produced a radio program and the Revista Tijuaneo. This collection is significant because in the mid 20th century Tijuana was a mecca of international Rock.
2) A number of newspapers ranging widely in date. Please note that this is a rough list and may have errors:
3) Private/personal archives, especially of elite families, which include photographs and correspondence.
4) Alejandro Lugo’s rich photograph collection
5) A Fototeca of collections that vary significantly in breadth, nature, and quality
6) City Directories
7) Oral Histories
8) A Vertical Archive of private documents and newspaper articles
9) National and State Government periodicals including the Diario Oficial Nacional and Periodico Oficial de Baja California
10) Municipal Archives; some of these have been virtually untouched and would be very useful for many kinds of history, including economic, political, and social
2. Biblioteca y Hemeroteca Benito Juárez
Avenida Centenario 10151 Zona Urbana Río
Tijuana,Baja California, México.
+52 664 684 2691
The Biblbioteca and Hemeroteca Municipal are part of the Instituto de cultura de Baja California (whcih provides galleries and exhibits, spaces for projects and Events, and offers clases. It is located near the new Ayuntamiento (Municipal Palace) and administrative offices for the Department of Public Education.
3. The Centro Cultural de Tijuana (CECUT)
Paseo de los Héroes 9350, Zona Urbana Rio Tijuana, 22010 Tijuana, BC, Mexico
+52 664 687 9600
The Centro Cultural de Tijuana (CECUT) houses the Museo de las californias and an excellent Conaculta/Educal Bookstore.
4. Casa de Cultura Jurídica
Paseo de los Héroes 9351
Zona Río, Zona Urbana Rio
Tijuana, B.C., Mexico
+52 664 200 2264
This houses legal arcvhies from 1881 to 1951 and the Civil Registry of Tijuana.
5. Universidad Autónoma de Baja California "Históricas"
Instituto de Investigaciónes Históricas (IIHUABC)
Archives Include Microfilm Copies of:
There are also significant newspaper holdings