Things to think about when creating the poster:
- Title in title case (each word - except prepositions - capitalized).
- Use non-serif (sans serif) fonts.
- For emphasis, use Italics instead of Underligning.
- With acronyms or large numbers, scale them down just a bit so they don't overpower the surrounding text. Try small caps.
- If needed, set line spacing -- to exactly 1.
- Spacing between words - keep just one space between works.
- Color blindness could be an issue. Check to make sure your colorful message conveys a unified message even if someone has this - use Vischeck.com
For charts, graphs, and tables:
- Add titles for all.
- The Y axis on a graph - set it up for a horizontal label for easier reading.
- Axis labels should be in sentence case (only the first word is capitalized).
Things to think about when printing the poster:
- Screen colors are RGB.
- Printer colors are CMYK (mini-test prints are adviseable).
- See if you can get a proof to make sure colors and images come out as expected
- ACS Printing - for those comfortable with do it yourself trouble-shooting
- Imprints can handle it.
- Other print places: FedEx Kinkos or online print services.