Skip to main content
We have an extensive collection of books (online and print) that cover materials science and related disciplines.
- Search our collection: UCSD Library catalog (Roger). To see ebooks only, limit your search to Electronic Materials.
- Searching nano* retrieves everything start starts with nano-, If too many results, add more keywords (e.g. specific materials and/or applications, or select more specific terms like nanomaterials, nanoparticles, etc. Same with any micro- search.
- Do not use the catalog to find journal articles. You can use Roger to confirm we have the journal Nature Materials, but you cannot use it to search for articles within Nature Materials.
- Search and request books from the other San Diego libraries (Circuit).
- Search and request books from the other UC libraries and beyond (Melvyl).
Looking for Dissertations?
You can find UCSD dissertations and theses in Roger, and use Dissertations and Theses to find dissertations at UCSD and other institutions. Most UC dissertations 1996-present are available online, others can be requested.
New Books in Materials Science
Key Materials Science Ebook Collections at UCSD
Key UCSD ebook collections with materials science titles. You can search for titles in Roger or search title/full-text at the publisher websites.
- If you search at the publisher websites, expect large sets of search results, due to the full-text book searching (and journals if applicable). Searches have to be more specific.
- Unless otherwise specified, we don't have access to all ebooks from a particular publisher. Check the catalog for a print copy, or request via Interlibrary Loan.
Science Direct / Elsevier
Extensive collection from Elsevier, Academic Press, and Woodhead for nanotechnology, materials science, and related subjects. Includes the 100+ volume Micro and Nano Technologies series and various Woodhead series for biomaterials, composites, electrical/optical materials, and more. [2014 to present, with heavy selected coverage of earlier years]
Wiley Ebooks (Wiley Online Library)
Ebook collection that includes a large number of STEM titles, including materials science and related disciplines. [2011 to present, with selected coverage of earlier years]
Ebook collection heavy with titles in nanotechnology, materials science and related subjects. Includes the Springer Series in Materials Science, Biomaterials, Polymer and Composite Materials, and additional handbooks on materials, nanotechnology, and related disciplines. Some books can be purchased for individual use for $25. [2012 to present, with heavy selected coverage of earlier years and many series back to vol. 1]
CRCnetBASE (now Taylor & Francis)
CRC Press' ebook collections for science and engineering, (now available on the Taylor & Francis website). [Access varies depending on collection. Some like the MATERIALSnetBASE collections are 2017 to present, but the core ENGnetBASE collection goes back to the 1990s]
7.200+ texts, handbooks, encyclopedias and databases for chemistry and engineering. Unlike these other collections, Knovel searches across multiple publishers. Advanced features include numerical range searching and interactive graphs and tables. Excellent resource for chemical/physical property & engineering data; accessed through the Property Search option.
Royal Society of Chemistry Ebooks
RSC ebooks collection of chemistry and related titles in chemical engineering and industrial chemistry, materials/polymers; nanoscience; biomolecular and biomedicine, environmental and food sciences; pharmacology, toxicology, and drug discovery. Includes the Specialist Periodical Reports and Tutorial Chemistry Texts. [1968 to present]
Cambridge University Press
Growing collection of ebooks from Cambridge University Press. Includes chemistry, chemical engineering, and materials science titles (including the Materials Research Society online proceedings). [2012 to present, with selected coverage of earlier years and full coverage of MRS]
American Chemical Society Symposium Series
Peer-reviewed books developed from the technical symposia of the ACS national and regional meetings. Along with chemistry, covers nanoscience, chemical education, polymers, renewable materials, medicinal chemistry, food and agricultural chemistry, and environmental science. Includes the earlier Advances in Chemistry series. [1950 to present]
Oxford Scholarship Online
350+ physics, chemistry, and materials science ebooks from Oxford University Press