Use the Library's How to Cite - Citation Software - Compare & Choose guide to select one of the top 4 citation management tools (EndNote desktop, EndNote web, Mendeley, or Zotero) to use for organizing your references.
The EndNote desktop program is currently one of the most popular citation management programs at UC San Diego. EndNote has a web version that is available freely, with a slightly upgraded version also available at no cost to UC, due to our site license for Web of Science. EndNote online can be used alone or as a compliment to desktop EndNote X-X9, or higher.
Accessing EndNote (web version)
The easiest way to access it is to go directly to the EndNote website using the URL: http://myendnoteweb.com/
Sign up for an account on campus, or via virtual private network (VPN) access from off campus.
The Chrome & Firefox browsers work best for all EndNote features.
There are several ways to get references into EndNote, below are the 4 main methods:
1. Type references in using the New Reference template.
2. Direct export is available from some databases, including Web of Science, BIOSIS, INSPEC, and Zoological Record. This enables the saving of records directly into EndNote rather than having to save to a file on the desktop and then importing. It saves a few clicks.
3. Online Search feature to search article databases or library catalogs from within EndNote.
4. Search for your desired references in an article database like GeoRef, ASFA, MGA, PubMed, SciFinder Scholar, or even Google Scholar, then Download selected references to your computer and Import them into EndNote.
Which of the above is best to use?
· For a complex or comprehensive search, options 2 or 4 are the preferred ones because they are more powerful and accurate in retrieving citations.
· Typing in references is easy but time consuming and potentially error prone.
· The online search works for a few databases and is great for known items, i.e., author(s) and a specific article, or for a book in the library’s catalog
Once you have collected citations, EndNote can help you easily insert a citation in the text of your document and also put it in the correct format based on the citation style you select.